Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos (partially found Playhouse Disney animated short series; 2004-2007)
Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos (Captain Carlos for short) was a series of Flash-animated educational shorts that aired on Playhouse Disney (now Disney Junior) that aired from 2004 to 2007, being part of Fit-Fit-Hurray line of shorts.
Story[edit | edit source]
Each short centered on a six-year-old boy named Carlos having to choose between eating a healthy snack or eating junk food before doing things such as bowling or going to a soccer match. His sister, Maria, would always try to get him to eat some junk food (while singing a song about how they "sure look like fun"). A narrator then explains to the audience how the two kinds of food can affect your body followed by Carlos eating the healthy snack. The episode would always end with Carlos feeling like a superhero after eating the healthy snack, and Maria flapping his cape for him.
Reception[edit | edit source]
The show was often negatively reviewed, with the advice being unreasonable and unlikely that kids wouldn't likely follow the shorts at all (i.e. avoiding all types of "Junk Food").
Availability[edit | edit source]
The skits have not aired on either iteration of the network in the United States since at least 2008, though there have been rumors that there may be some episodes on pre-2009 Playhouse Disney home media releases. The series had also been rerun in at least one country as late as 2010.
A handful of episodes in English and Spanish have been found on YouTube and Vimeo. Other than that, little footage could be found for several years, possibly due to the obscurity of the shorts.
However, a YouTuber named Paradisea Legged uploaded the rest of the shorts on YouTube and then the entire series became found. However, at one point, all of the episodes were deleted from that channel, meaning most of the episodes became lost again. However, some of the episodes have resurfaced on YouTube.
Additionally, a rough cut of "Spelling Test" was uploaded to Vimeo by one of the people who worked on the episode.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
Disney Channel[edit | edit source]
- Welcome to Pooh Corner (partially found Disney Channel live-action puppet series; 1983-1986)
- Dumbo's Circus (partially found Disney Channel live action puppet series; 1985-1986)
- Fish Hooks (partially found unreleased pilot of Disney Channel animated series; 2009)
Playhouse Disney[edit | edit source]
- Bear in the Big Blue House (partially lost original English audio of Playhouse Disney puppet series; 1997-2006)
- Breakfast with Bear (partially found episodes of Playhouse Disney spin-off series; 2005-2006)
- Bear in the Big Blue House "Water, Water Everywhere" (lost unaired pilot of Disney Channel puppet series; 1997)
- Stanley (found unaired pilot episode of Playhouse Disney animated series; 1999)
- Out of the Box (partially lost Playhouse Disney children's series; 1998-2004)
- The Book of Pooh (found Playhouse Disney puppet series; 2001-2004)
- Playhouse Disney UK (partially lost interstitial material of children's TV channel; 1999-2006)
- PB&J Otter (partially found original credits sequences of Playhouse Disney animated series; 1998-2000)
- Handy Manny (partially found unaired pilot of Disney children's animated TV series; 2005)
- Little Einsteins (lost second pitch pilot of Playhouse Disney animated series; existence unconfirmed; 2004)
Disney Junior[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- An article on Adventures in Nutrition with Captain Carlos from 2005. Retrieved 26 Apr '18
- A review of Adventures in Nutrition With Captain Carlos and other Playhouse Disney shorts. Retrieved 26 Apr '18
- A rough cut of the short "Spelling Test". Retrieved 07 Sep '14