Why Hypno-Disc can't work in an office (found testing video of Robot Wars competitor; 2000, 2007)
Why Hypno-Disc can't work in an office (also known as Why Hypno-Disc shouldn't work in an office) was a 2007 YouTube video which featured the Robot Wars competitor Hypno-Disc. One of the first Robot Wars videos uploaded onto YouTube, it consisted of the machine destroying a photocopier, as part of its weapons tests prior to Series 4 in 2000.
Hypno-Disc debuted on the BBC 2 show Robot Wars during the show's third series, entered by the Rose Boys, consisting of twins Dave and Derek, and their father Ken. During its run from Series 3 to Extreme 2, Hypno-Disc successfully reached the Grand Final three times, including finishing runners-up in Series 3. It also garnered a reputation for its ability to destroy some of its opponents thanks to its powerful horizontal flywheel, most notably against Robogeddon, Stealth and Splinter. Hence, it is considered one of the most notable machines to have ever competed on the show.
Sometime during the filming of Series 4, the Rose Boys recorded a video of their machine as part of a weapons test. Hypno-Disc ultimately ended up destroying a variety of office items, including a photocopier. During YouTube's early years, presumed to be 2007, the video was uploaded to the platform under the name "Why Hypno-Disc can't work in an office". However, it was removed from the platform prior to the clip gaining recognition from Robot Wars fans in 2021.
Using the Wayback Machine, images taken of the photocopier's destruction were able to be uncovered. The archived website also mentions video playback, suggesting the original video was on here at one point, but was not archived with the images. Interestingly, the images are spread across two pages, referencing a Weapons Test Clip 2 & 3. This suggests that there may have existed even more footage or angles of the testing that were previously unknown.
When the photos were showcased on Unofficial Robot Wars, one member stated they had a copy of the video, uploading it onto Facebook. Additionally, they linked a Dailymotion video containing the footage, called "Coppier11". A reupload of Why Hypno-Disc can't work in an office, it was a thirteen second video featuring the robot colliding into the photocopier, and wrecking it in the process. It is likely that the name "Coppier11" was the reason behind why people could not find the video prior to September 2021, as the name itself was too generic.
- 1995 Robot Wars UK Open (partially found rejected robot combat TV show pilot; 1995)
- American Robot Wars 2000 (lost MTV pilot of British robot combat game show; 2000)
- BattleBots (found Comedy Central robot combat game show; 2000-2002)
- BattleBots (partially lost build of unreleased GameCube/PlayStation 2 game based on robot combat TV series; 2003)
- BattleBots Collegiate Championship (partially lost unaired spinoff of robot combat TV show; 2009)
- Mechanoids (partially found BBC robot combat game show; 2003)
- Plunderbirds: Talk Robots (partially found unfinished robot combat mockumentary film; 2019)
- Robot Wars (found cameos of robot combat-themed BBC 2 ident; 1999-2000)
- Robot Wars (lost footage and HSE documentation of behind-the-scenes accidents of BBC robot combat game show; 1998-1999)
- Robot Wars (lost near-death footage of Jeremy Clarkson from robot combat game show; 1998)
- Robot Wars (lost work on unfinished cartoon series based on robot combat game show; existence unconfirmed; 2002-2004)
- Robot Wars (partially found footage of robot combat show qualifying auditions and battles; 1998-2003)
- Robot Wars (partially found unaired or partially aired battles of BBC robot combat game show; 1998-2017)
- Robot Wars (partially found uncut battles from BBC robot combat game show; 1998-2017)
- Robot Wars Extreme: Series 1 (lost original BBC Choice version of robot combat battle; 2001)
- Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors: Season 1 (found TNN robot combat game show; 2001)
- Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors: Season 2 (partially found behind-the-scenes footage of TNN robot combat game show; 2002)
- Robot Wars Revealed (found BBC Choice spin-off of robot combat game show; 1998-2000)
- Robot Wars: Series 8 (lost unaired pilot of BBC robot combat game show; 2016)
- Robot Wars: Series 8 (partially found Science Channel reruns of robot combat game show; 2018)
- Robot Wars: The Kick-Off (lost BNN robot combat special; 2001)
- Robotica (found TLC robot combat game show; 2001-2003)
- Robots Revenge (partially found Discovery robot combat documentary series; 2001)
- ↑ Fighting Robots Association article on Hypno-Disc, discussing its history. Retrieved 18 Jul '21
- ↑ YouTube video showcasing Hypno-Disc's most destructive battles. Retrieved 18 Jul '21
- ↑ WatchMojoUK video Top 10 Badass Robots From Robot Wars, where Hypno-Disc was placed third on the list. Retrieved 18 Jul '21
- ↑ Fighting Robots Association forum discussing the video. Retrieved 18 Jul '21
- ↑ 2021 Unofficial Robot Wars Facebook post discussing the video. Retrieved 18 Jul '21
- ↑ Unofficial Robot Wars Facebook group, where the photos and ultimately the video were rediscovered. Retrieved 24 Sep '21