Shin Chan (partially found Vitello and Phuuz English dub of anime based on manga series; 2002-2004)
Before FUNimation Entertainment attempted to market Crayon Shin Chan in the US in 2006 (with their dub lasting at least three seasons), two previous attempts at English adaptations had been in existence.
The first dub, produced through 2001-2002 by Vitello Productions and Lacey Production, was known by fans as "The Vitello dub" and is hard to come by. Shortened to just "Shin Chan" (as the later dubs would be), this version was never aired in the US, but did air in the UK through 2002-2003 on their version of Fox Kids, on Fox 8 Kids in Australia and on RTE in the ROI. The dub was later relegated to only shorts on Jetix, but the show was fully removed from the channel after Jetix rebranded to Disney XD. This dub contained many famous voice actors that had done work in Western animation, such as Grey DeLisle (who had her first voice acting role in it). Although the dub was heavily censored and localized, Shinnosuke's infamous Buri Buri dance was still in the show.
There are only 31 segments that can currently be found in their English dubbed format, but the Dutch version of the dub has at least 164 segments (3 segments of 5 to 7 minutes in one episode of 21 minutes) available. Which means that at least 135 English segments are still lost as the Dutch version was based on the English version. The Italian version of the dub has 159 segments available. Vitello and Lacey's adaptation was used as the basis for various overseas dubs. At Wikipedia a incomplete list of episodes of the dub with English, Italian, Dutch and Japanese titles can be found. A Fox Kids UK press release from 2002 mentions 52 22-minute episodes.
Several episodes of the Vitello dub were released on Region 4 (Australia) DVDs, but they are now all out of print.
In 2004, Phuuz Entertainment gained the license to the series and produced a new English adaptation, featuring a different pool of Los Angeles-based voice actors. None of this dub was ever released on DVD, and it appears even harder to uncover clips of. This dub was pitched to Adult Swim in 2005, but was rejected on basis of it sounding too "childish" for the block. After Phuuz's license expired, FUNimation acquired the rights and their dub was approved.
Name Changes[edit | edit source]
Both dubs featured many name changes for the characters, although in some cases they used different options than what FUNimation would later use.
- Shinnosuke's name was shortened to "Shin"
- Misae became "Mitsy" and Hiroshi became "Harry"
- Himawari became "Daisy"
- Toru Kazama became "Cosmo", with his name loosely based off his surname
- Nene Sakurada became "Nini"
- Masao Sato became "Max"
- The principal Bunta Takakura/"Encho-sensei" was renamed "Principal Enzo"
- The teachers Midori Yoshinaga and Ume Matsuzaka were renamed "Miss Dori" and "Miss Uma", with the names loosely sourced from their Japanese names
- Action Mask was renamed "The Masked Muchacho"
- Ai Saotome was renamed "Sally" in Phuuz's dub (which covered later episodes)
- Masumi Ageo was renamed "Miss Agnes" in Phuuz's dub
Production Staff[edit | edit source]
- ADR Direction: Paul Vitello (Vitello dub), Michael Sorich (Phuuz dub)
- ADR Script: Leslie Ray (Vitello), Darlene Waddington (Phuuz)
- Dialogue Recording: R.D. Floyd (Vitello)
- Dialogue Editor: Larry Ellis (Vitello)
- Producer: Paul Vitello, Cheryl Pollak (Vitello), Ken Duer (Phuuz)
- Original music produced by: Rave Music, Inc.
- Composers: Louis Cortelezzi, John Lissauer
- Executive Producer for International Adaptation: Daisuke "Dan" Yoshikawa
Voice Cast[edit | edit source]
Vitello (2002)[edit | edit source]
- Shin Nohara, Mitsy Nohara: Kath Soucie
- Harry Nohara, Bo: Eric Loomis
- Daisy Nohara, Max: Russi Taylor
- Cosmo, Miss Uma: Grey DeLisle
- Nini, Miss Dori: Anndi McAfee
- Principal Enzo, Masked Muchacho: Patrick Fraley
Phuuz (2004)[edit | edit source]
- Shin Nohara: Diane Michelle
- Mitsy Nohara: Julie Maddalena
- Harry Nohara: Peter Doyle
- Cosmo: Hope Levy
- Max: Barbara Goodson
- Bo: Richard Cansino
- Nini: Michelle Ruff
- Miss Dori: Cindy Robinson
Known missing segments[edit | edit source]
The Dutch version of the dub has at least 164 segments available. Which means that at least 135 English segments are still lost as the Dutch version was based on the English version. The known English names are list below:
1) Playing House / Mom Wants to Drive /Mom Takes a Driving lesson
2) Mom’s Getting Fat / I’m a Kiddie Commando / Dad’s Lost his Eyebrows
3) P.J. Party with Miss Dori / I Meet a Hishi / Mom Wants an Air Conditioner
5) Me Want Cookie / My Date With Miss Uma / Mom Runs Away
6) We're Getting A Divorce ?
7) I Get Recycled / Mom Killed The TV / Lucky Gets Lucky
8) Fun With Balloons / I Go To The City
9) Vacation Fun / Dad Has A Breakdown,
10) A Dad-Free Night / I Hit A Homer / I Clean Up,
11) Let’s Go Fishing / Smarty Pants Marti / Driving with Mom,
12) I Make a Man Outa Max / Mom and Dad’s Big Night / I Go To The Hospital
13) I Go to Girl-Zoo / Grandpa Won’t leave,
14) An Errand to the Post Office / Going to a Haunted House / Mom Goes on Strike
15) Who’s Eisenhower? / Dad’s Secret Admirer / Leaf Me Alone /
16) The Late Great Me / Mom’s a Shopaholic
20) I'm On Spring Break / Lucky Feels Yucky / Let's Have A Picnic
21) Mom's Gotta Barf
23) I Jump-Start The Baby / Cosmo's In Love / I'm A Love Doctor
24) I Want A new Mom / Playin' In The Pool / It's Pregnant Mom Month
25) Playing Tag / I Go On A Date / My Date With Ricky
Where's My Sister, Mister?
Segments found of the Vitello dub[edit | edit source]
So far, these separate segments have been found of this dub.
Mom Takes A Nap: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
A Visit From Grandpa: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
We Go On Vacation: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
The Late, Great Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap48eGJaAoo
Mom's A Shopaholic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVrW9aqK4o
|I Can't Sleep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5p62dJi1k
My Cool Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKq8CDHJ4Uc
I Love Nasty Books: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq70KPF76Vg
Play Ball Part One https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyZ72pmmAo
Play Ball Part Two https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MX1eRDOv6w
I Found A Wallet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AU7-aCWZb0
Bye Bye Cosmo: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
Mom has a new dress: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
Mom leaves me on the subway: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
Fun With Balloons: ?
The Baby Comes Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxokzqRFxsA
Hanging' Out With The New Baby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxokzqRFxsA
I'm Tired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxokzqRFxsA
I Climb a Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeqkB57Hog
I'm Mountain Meat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeqkB57Hog
Survival of the Fattest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeqkB57Hog
Someone’s Got A Boyfriend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RidQM9xq9g
I Get My Own Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RidQM9xq9g
Dad Breaks A Promise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RidQM9xq9g
Playing Around With Dad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fskz7pO0eCA
I’m Going Hiking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fskz7pO0eCA
Fun With Food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fskz7pO0eCA
Me and the Comic Book Guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4afgOyvOvw
Cosmo The Germinator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4afgOyvOvw
Dad Goes Jogging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4afgOyvOvw
Fun at the Ski Lodge: https://tune.pk/video/4321307/shin-chan-i-go-skiing-english-hq
Dopes at the Slopes: https://tune.pk/video/4321307/shin-chan-i-go-skiing-english-hq
The Story of Shinnochio: https://vimeo.com/85034498
Gimme back my ball: https://vimeo.com/85034498
I'm mom's Bodyguard: https://vimeo.com/85034498