Be Safe with the Tweenies (partially lost safety shorts of British children's TV series; 2003-2008)
Be Safe with the Tweenies was a series of 27 shorts based on the popular CBeebies series The Tweenies made to educate its target audience on being safe around certain situations as the title suggests. Also known as the Tweenies Safety Shorts., these shorts aired on the British children's channel CBeebies between 2003 and 2008, and had little to no media coverage on its content despite the programme's popularity. As of now, all but two of the shorts have made their way online, leaving the others unavailable for public consumption, including one that was reportedly banned from broadcast due to the use of knives.
Although the episodes are available on BBC Redux, this service is only accessible to those with a functioning @bbc.co.uk e-mail address.
Intro[edit | edit source]
When its first episode was uncovered (it being "Railway Lines" in particular), the opening sequence for the short was different to The Tweenies intro, having a slightly amended theme song, and providing many clips from the series. These brief clips offered an overview of what the potential episodes would've looked like. The list below offers an insight into the clips featured as well as the potential episodes these were featured in:
- Max with a video camera - "Throwing"
- Bella dropping and smashing a teapot - "Kettle and Teapot"
- Jake throwing sand at the camera - "Throwing"
- Milo attempting to light a scented candle with a lit birthday candle on a cake - "Candles"
- Jake holding a breadknife - "Knives"
- Bella holding a pair of dangerous garden cutters - "Sheds"
- Milo is stuck through a window, and Bella is trying to pull him out - "Doors and Windows"
- Max in gardening gear - "Sheds"
- Fizz discovering dangerous-looking bottles in the kitchen cupboard - "Cleaning Materials"
- Fizz tangled in wires - "Electric Sockets and Cables"
- Judy with a guitar - "Railway Lines"
- Jake picking up some scissors - "Scissors"
- Doodles the dog tripping over a stuffed snake - "Leaving Toys Left Around"
- Izzles the dog and Milo improvising a scene based on a home fire - "Fire Safety"
- The Tweenies playing on a climbing frame - "Slides"
Shorts[edit | edit source]
|Leaving Toys Left Around||Found|
|Don't Go There||Found|
|Travelling by Train||Found|
|Electric Sockets and Cables||Found|
|Kettle and Teapot||Found|
|Doors and Windows||Found|
External Link[edit | edit source]
- MEGA mirror of the short "Railway Lines." Retrieved 02 Jun '15
References[edit | edit source]
- A Didiguide that has a section on the show. Retrieved 08 May '15
- A website associated with the BBC that mentions the other name of the shorts. Retrieved 08 May '15