The Flintstones (partially found production material for cancelled Seth MacFarlane reboot of animated series; 2013)
The Flintstones is an animated sitcom produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and aired between September 1960 and April 1966. The show is generally regarded as a televised animated classic, spawning several spinoffs. There have been many attempts to reboot the series, such as in early 2011, when Seth MacFarlane (best known for Family Guy and American Dad fame) announced that he was planning on reviving the series.
Development/Cancellation[edit | edit source]
The reboot was first announced as a promo on Fox in early 2011, with the first episode releasing sometime in 2013. The show was going to be geared more to a Fox audience as MacFarlane grew up with the 1960s show. The reboot was going to try to capture the essence of the 1960 version of The Flintstones but have the stories that take place in the world to be a bit more current. The humor was going to be somewhere around "1990s Simpsons".
In early April 2012, a draft from one of the scripts was sent to the former head of Fox Kevin Reilly for approval. He was quoted as stating that "he liked it, but didn't love it." He then talked to Seth, and he gave him a choice of starting over on the reboot or shelving the project altogether to work on other projects (at the time he was working on several projects including his theatrical directorial debut with Ted, updating Carl Sagan's Cosmos, and working on Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show). He chose to do the latter. The team that worked on the reboot was reportedly disappointed at Seth Macfarlane's decision and most of them were eventually laid off, with the promise of they might get to work on American Dad one day.
On September 15th, 2017, Seth MacFarlane hosted a Reddit AMA. When asked about The Flintstones project, he had this to say:
"As of now, probably not. Honestly I couldn't figure out a way to find enough differentiation between a modern-day Fred Flintstone and... Peter Griffin."
Availability[edit | edit source]
Before 2019, there was no concept art nor any animations posted online. There are known to be storyboards for several episodes as well as 10 minutes of animation only shown to investors and not to be broadcasted. On April 19th, 2019, YouTube user Rebeltaxi reuploaded his video on 4 adult reboots of The Flintstones including Seth MacFarlane's. In the reupload he has shown off some never before seen concept art colorized by artist Andy Clark (known for working on Sanjay and Craig, We Bare Bears, and Dexter's Lab). The concept art can also be seen below.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Concept Art[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
The Flintstones[edit | edit source]
- The Flintstones Movie (partially found Sega Channel exclusive build of 2D movie tie-in platformer; 1995)
Other[edit | edit source]
- Boss Cat (found British opening and ending titles of "Top Cat" animated series; 1962-1989)
- CBS Storybreak "What Happened in Hamelin" (lost episode from animated series; 1987)
- Dastardly & Muttley - Operation: Pigeon Pursuit (lost build of unreleased PlayStation 2 video game; 2007-2008)
- Fender Bender 500 (partially found episodes of "Wacky Races" reboot animated series; 1990s)
- Jetsons: The Movie "Gotcha" (partially found full version of song from Hanna-Barbera animated film; 1990)
- Jetsons: The Movie (lost Janet Waldo vocal performance of animated film; 1988-1990)
- Jokebook (partially found Hanna-Barbera animated series; 1982)
- Return of the Bunjee (lost ABC Weekend special; 1985)
- Rock Odyssey (partially lost Hanna-Barbera animated film; 1987)
- Showbiz Pizza's Yogi Bear and Boo Boo Showtape (found animatronic audio showtape; 1987)
- The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (partially found Hanna Barbera live action-animated TV series; 1968-1969)
- The Funny World of Fred and Bunni (partially found live-action/animated variety show pilot; 1978)
- The Hanna-Barbera Happy Hour (partially found NBC comedy variety show; 1978)
- The Moxy Show (partially found episodes of CGI anthology series; 1993-2000)
- The New Teen Titans "Just Say No!" (partially lost Hanna-Barbera anti-drug animated PSA; 1983)
- The Ruff and Reddy Show (found episodes of NBC Hanna-Barbera animated series; 1957-1960)
- The Snorks (partially found unaired pilot of Hanna-Barbera animated TV series; 1982)
External Link[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- A Huffington Post interview with Seth MacFarlane about the reboot. Retrieved 19 Apr '19
- A Hollywood Reporter article on the reboot, which was put onto hold. Retrieved 19 Apr '19
- AVClub article on Seth's The Flintstones reboot being put on hold. Retrieved 19 Apr '19
- Another Hollywood Reporter article on the delay of Seth Macfarlane's The Flintstones project. Retrieved 19 Apr '19
- Seth MacFarlane's 2017 Reddit AMA, where he was asked about his Flintstones reboot. Retrieved 19 Apr '19