Spider-Man Trilogy (partially found deleted scenes of action-superhero films; 2002-2007)
The first three films in the Spider-Man franchise had a number of scenes that were shortened or removed completely. Of the many reported scenes that have been cut, many of them have surfaced online. However, thirty-nine scenes in total have surfaced, these include thirteen from Spider-Man, seventeen from Spider-Man 2, and nine from Spider-Man 3.
Spider-Man (2002)[edit | edit source]
Thirteen scenes from Spider-Man were seen in various sources such as “behind-the-scenes” featurettes and photos, trailers, TV advertisements, promotional videos, art concepts, blooper reels, and exterior/interior shots from the Sony Pictures Stock Footage website and features from the DVD extras
Known Deleted Scenes[edit | edit source]
- Peter Parker apologizes to Flash for accidentally throwing food at him. (Found, included in The Making of Spider-Man DVD bonus feature)
- Peter developing his mechanical web-shooters. (Found, included in the teaser trailer)
- Wrestler Spider-Man puts his second glove on while running in the alley. (Found, included in Blooper/Outtakes reel in DVD)
- Peter parks his uncle’s car at home after the graduation ceremony. (Found, on Sony Pictures Stock Footage Website)
- Peter enters Manhattan by taking the train. (Found on Sony Pictures Stock Footage Website)
- Eddie Brock comes out of Jameson’s office and confronts Peter. (Lost: R.C. Everbeck, who played Eddie stated that Sony is still in possession of the footage)
- Stan Lee selling sunglasses, who claims they're the same kind worn in the "X-Men" at the World Unity Festival in Times Square. (Found, included in Blooper/Outtakes reel in DVD)
- Two children witness Peter saving a couple from a falling material from the collapsing balcony and Peter signalling them to keep it a secret. (Found, included in TV Spot)
- Mary Jane says “Wow” after being saved by Spider-Man from where she fell off the balcony. (Found, included in TV Spot)
- An exterior shot of the World Trade Center (not from the pre-9/11 teaser) wasn’t used due to 9/11. (Found, on Sony Pictures Stock Footage Website)
- Children running out of the tram after Spider-Man saves them at the Queensboro bridge. (Found, included in Blooper/Outtakes reel in DVD)
- A scene in which Peter looks out his window and sees Mary Jane dancing in her underwear (talked about by Producer Laura Ziskin and Kirsten Dunst in the commentary)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)[edit | edit source]
An extended version of Spider-Man 2, titled Spider-Man 2.1, was released on DVD in April 2007. It contains 8 extra minutes (for a total running time of 2:15) in 3 new, 1 alternate, and 11 extended scenes.
Scenes in Spider-Man 2.1[edit | edit source]
- A new scene where a friend challenges MJ about her decision to marry.
- An extra minute in Peter's birthday party to underscore Harry's hatred of Spider-Man.
- More downbeat conversation with MJ afterwards (seen in some TV versions).
- A longer introduction of Octavius and his wife, a brief new scene where Peter in class is distracted by both his fears about Octavius's experiment and his love for MJ.
- A bit more of Peter trying to talk his way into MJ's play.
- Added comedy to the pizza delivery scene.
- A longer, completely different elevator encounter.
- A brief new scene where Jameson puts on the Spider-Man suit in his office.
- Over a minute more with the doctor and a bit more of Peter's conversation with Ben.
- Tiny extra additions to two early action scenes.
- A brief extra sequence in the first fight with Doc Ock, and a longer extra sequence during the train fight with Doc Ock.
Spider-Man 3 (2007)[edit | edit source]
On June 13th, 2017, during the anticipation for Spider-Man: Homecoming, an alternated version of Spider-Man 3 titled Spider-Man 3: Editor’s Cut, was released on the Spider-Man Limited Edition Blu-ray collection. The film features unused music from Christopher Young and is two minutes shorter than the theatrical cut. Some scenes are shifted around or have been completely removed, and the film includes 3 deleted scenes, 3 alternate scenes, and 1 extended scene. Spider-Man 3: Editor's Cut was later re-released with the Spider-Man Legacy Collection 4K Blu-ray Box Set.
Scenes in the Editor's cut[edit | edit source]
- Peter is sitting around contemplatively while he feels drawn to the black suit again.
- The alternate scene where Ursula told Peter that Mary Jane called by phone but in a shy way, Peter hesitates, opens the box and reaches for its content with a smile on his face.
- A Scene in which Peter looks at the Black Suit in the Mirror curiously, before putting the Suit in its case. This is missing a large fragment where Venom Jumpscares Peter and Peter tries to rip it off.
- Black-Suited Spider-Man swings away from the Daily Bugle to his apartment after Eddie Brock being fired in the alternate opening of the mansion scene.
- Peter is lying on the couch all of a sudden and his response is much more chilled/cooler.
- Mother Emma is at the park with Flint’s daughter Penny, she talks about her dad who once again didn’t make it, Penny then gets closer to a sandcastle and keeps looking at it, in this shape, Flint is able to see her again, with determination, he says he could not be stopped anymore.
- Harry sees the broken picture of him with Peter and Mary Jane, he contemplates and makes the decision to help Spider-Man - without having to be convinced/talked into it by anybody else.
Other deleted scenes shown in trailers and tv spots, as well as being found on Sony's stock footage site[edit | edit source]
- A part of Norman talking to Harry with him saying "He took me away from you."
- A deleted bit of Spider-Man saving a baby.
- A scene of Spider-Man swinging upwards. Used in a lot of early trailers.
- A scene of Peter ripping the black suit off his thigh, probably deleted for looking too suggestive.
- A deleted scene in which Eddie visits Peter’s apartment. Stock footage was found of this scene in 2021.
- An alternate shot of Spider-Man swinging onto the truck.
- The crane scene is cut down considerably. Originally there was a shot where Spider-Man jumps off a broken part of the building and swings down towards Gwen.
- A scene of Spider-Man punching legless Sandman in the face.
- Sandman smacking Spider-Man off the Truck with his sand hammer.
- A scene of Peter meeting a little kid in a Spider-Man costume.
- A scene of Sandman and Eddie Brock meeting in the park. This was used in the video game.
- Originally Sandman and Spider-Man's fight in the sewers was brutal. Sandman was to get his arm cut off by Spider-Man and was gonna get smacked with part of the train track. You can kinda see Sandman's missing arm in the theatrical cut.
- A scene where J. Jonah Jameson is given chimes to calm down after Eddie is fired, Hoffman then tells him about the campaign he was told not to run, he ran causing Jameson to lash out again.
- A scene where Sandman almost finishes off Spider-Man with a sand mace before being confronted by his family and Dr. Wallace.
Availability[edit | edit source]
On October 25th, 2016, a YouTuber named christhegeek517 uploaded a scene of Peter Parker chaining his bike to a pole and entering his apartment that was not included in theatrical and extended versions of Spider-Man 2 but was instead included in a TV version of the film that was aired on FX.
On August 10th, 2020, a Twitter user Mark (@Oh_hai_Natk) posted a scene that was also not included in theatrical and extended versions of Spider-Man 2 on his page, was the early Pizza Delivery scene where Peter avoids traffic while riding his biker with pizzas, he turns his bike to the valley while the bike messenger chases him. After that, the bike messenger falls off his bike and Peter switches his normal outfit to his Spidey outfit immediately. Mark claimed that he compiled all the stock footage from Sony’s website, and he manages to create the somewhat early scene.
On August 11th, 2020, two scenes that were not included in the theatrical or editor’s cuts of Spider-Man 3, but were partially found by YouTuber EPH 00. The two scenes where Flint visits Dr. Wallace and asks him to cure his daughter, Penny, with the money that he just stole, and the original Venom’s demise scene. There are three soundless shots from the Dr. Wallace scene, which involves Sandman coming out of the air vent, Flint talking to Dr. Wallace, and Flint smashing Wallace into the window. Dr. Wallace was portrayed by Adrian Lester. From the alternate Venom’s demise scene, there are two soundless shots, which involves Peter desperately trying to set himself free from the giant Venom by tearing up the symbiote, and the steer rods fall from the giant sling that Peter tilted. On May 13th, 2021, the user posted more stock footage of the scenes, which suggests details of Dr. Wallace’s laboratory, extra takes of the pole of steel rods that Peter yanks, and new extra footage of Eddie’s skeleton body and skull.
On June 5th, 2022, a Twitter user by the name of "Spidey3DS" uncovered two deleted scenes for Spider-Man 3 from the Sony Stock Footage archive. Those scenes consisted of previously unseen footage, such as Eddie Brock speaking to Gwen at her house, which was cut entirely from the film. Another scene is an extended scene of Eddie walking to the church.
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Spider-Man: The Venom Factor (lost unreleased Spider-Man PC game, 1996-1997)
- Spider-Man: The New Animated Series "Geldhoff" (lost storyboards of cancelled episode of MTV animated series; 2003)
- Spider-Man 4 (found unreleased video games based on cancelled Marvel film sequel; 2010)
- Spider-Man Safety Series (partially found direct-to-video animated educational series; 1990)
- Spider-Man (lost Josh Keaton vocal performance of film-based superhero game; 2002)
- Spider-Man versus Kraven the Hunter (lost short superhero fan film; 1974)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (partially found deleted Mary-Jane Watson scenes of superhero film; 2014)
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (lost Josh Keaton vocal performance of 2D animated series; 2012)
Gallery[edit | edit source]