Sonic the Hedgehog (lost build of cancelled Amiga port of Sega Genesis platformer; 1992)
In 1991, Italian gaming magazine The Games Machine had an article discussing the original Sonic the Hedgehog being ported to various home computers, mainly the Commodore Amiga. It was going to be published by U.S. Gold and would have likely been released in June 1992. However, it was never released, possibly due to disagreements between Sega and U.S. Gold.
Two screenshots have surfaced, both of which were sourced out of the aforementioned article and, based on these screenshots, the game may have had entirely new level designs and possibly even new levels, similar to the Game Gear version. Additionally, the title screen depicts Sonic's "American" design as opposed to the Japanese version.
However, it’s theorized that these screenshots may have been faked, Spanish gaming magazine Superjuegos featured completely different screenshots of the port and user "RACCAR" on the SonicAges forum also posted screenshots of this version's demo, also dated June 1992.
A ROM of the cancelled Amiga port can be found on demozoo.org, but it's currently unplayable as there is no known playable version of the demo.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Images[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Shadow the Hedgehog (lost Teen rated version of platformer; 2005)
- Sister Sonic (lost build of cancelled "Sonic the Hedgehog" localization of "Popful Mail" Sega CD side-scrolling platformer; 1993)
- Sonic 3D Blast (found cassette demo tape of unused game soundtrack; 1996)
- Sonic Adventure New Year's DLC (found "Sonic the Hedgehog" holiday-themed DLC; 1998)
- Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (found iOS game; 2010)
- Sonic DS (lost Nintendo DS tech demo; 2004)
- Sonic Generations (lost game demo; 2010)
- Sonic Jr. (lost build of unreleased Sega Pico game; existence unconfirmed; 1994)
- Sonic Saturn (lost build of cancelled Sega Saturn prototype of platformer; mid-1990s)
- Sonic Sports (lost build of cancelled Sega 32X sports game; 1995)
- Sonic Synergy (lost original build of "Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric" Wii U action-adventure game; 2007-2013)
- Sonic the Hedgehog "2006" (lost complete build of Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 platformer; 2006)
- Sonic The Hedgehog (lost build of cancelled Sega CD port of Sega Genesis platformer; 1992)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost Tokyo Toy Show prototype build of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platformer; 1990)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost Winter Consumer Electronics Show 1991 demo build of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platformer; 1991)
- Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (lost build of cancelled iOS port of Sega Genesis platformers; 2014)
- Sonic The Hedgehog: Awakening (lost build of cancelled "Sonic the Hedgehog" game; existence unconfirmed; late 2000s)
- Sonic X-Treme (found build of unreleased Sega Saturn video game; 1996)
- Sonic-16 (lost build of unreleased Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game based on "Sonic the Hedgehog" animated TV series; 1993)
- Sonic Runners (found endless runner mobile game; 2015)