Nintendo Puzzle Collection (lost build of unreleased English localization of Nintendo GameCube puzzle compilation game; 2003)
Nintendo Puzzle Collection is a 2003 Japan-exclusive Nintendo GameCube compilation game of Nintendo's puzzle games such as Dr. Mario 64, Yoshi's Cookie, and Panel de Pon. The game was co-developed by Nintendo Software Technology and Intelligent Systems and was published by Nintendo.
However, there were plans to release the game to North America and Europe but ultimately did not happen for unknown reasons despite a build being shown at E3 2003.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
As mentioned in the introduction, the game is a compilation of Nintendo's past puzzle games such as Dr. Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64, Yoshi's Cookie for the NES, SNES/SFC, and Game Boy, and Panel de Pon for the Super Famicom with enhanced graphics and gameplay.
According to a Japanese article about Asami Abe's commercial for the game (the following quote is translated from Japanese to English):
"The Nintendo GameCube version allows up to 4 players to compete. Also, it works in conjunction with Game Boy Advance, and by connecting the GBA and GC with a cable, you can download the game to the GBA, or use the GBA as it is as a digital controller. In a puzzle game where you simply enter the left, right, and bottom keys, the digital controller is easier to operate than the analog controller, so I'm happy about such considerations. By the way, the GC-GBA cable that connects the GameCube and GBA is included in the software."
A build of the game's English version was also made available at the Games Convention 2003 event in Leipzig, Germany with no mention of an unofficial US release date.
Availability[edit | edit source]
While the Japanese version of Nintendo Puzzle Collection was released on February 7th, 2003, and can easily be found online for sale at various shops, no builds of the unreleased English version of the game has been made available or leaked online.
Among the 6 games included in Nintendo Puzzle Collection (3 to be played on the GameCube normally or with a GBA as a controller, and 3 that are only playable on the connected GBA itself), 3 have received an English-language release.
Have received English releases separately[edit | edit source]
- Dr. Mario 64
- Dr. Mario (NES)
- Yoshi's Cookie (NES)
Have not been found in English[edit | edit source]
- Yoshi's Cookie (Sequel to the NES/SNES/GBA game with the same name)
- Panel de Pon 64 (The Japanese Nintendo 64 pre-GameCube-port builds were themselves lost until 2020 but has now been found; Graphics and sounds were changed heavily for its international release as Pokémon Puzzle League)
- Panel de Pon (GBA) (Was later re-released in a two-in-one package for GBA with a then-new version of Dr. Mario; The package was ported to the West as Dr. Mario & Puzzle League, the latter having the Panel de Pon music intact but the graphics removed.)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Nintendo's page on Nintendo Puzzle Collection (page is in Japanese). Retrieved 22 Jul '20
- Wikipedia's article on the game. Retrieved 22 Jul '20
- Super Mario Wiki's article on the game. Retrieved 22 Jul '20
References[edit | edit source]
- GameSpot's article on the E3 2003 preshow of the game. Retrieved 22 Jul '20
- Game Watch's article on Asami Abe's commercial for the game (courtesy of the Wayback Machine; article is in Japanese). Retrieved 22 Jul '20
- IGN's article on the 2003 Games Convention, mentions Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Retrieved 22 Jul '20
- Panel de Pon 64 prototype found and shared on YouTube. Retrieved 25 May '21
- Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (GBA) Puzzle League) Retrieved 25 May '21