Hot Wheels: Velocity X (lost beta & behind the scenes video from multi-platform racing game; 2002)
Hot Wheels: Velocity X is a racing video game developed and published by Beyond Games and THQ. The game was released in the fall of 2002 for PlayStation 2, GameCube, PC, and Game Boy Advance. The game is based on the Hot Wheels toy line and features models previously sold in stores.
Beta[edit | edit source]
In 2002, THQ came to IGN and showed off their new and upcoming racing game in it's pre-alpha state. The game's beta is very different from it's final release. Many screenshots exist of the beta version and the only videos of the beta were posted to YouTube by IGN in May of 2011, although footage of the beta dates back to January of 2002.
The beta has many differences compared to the final version including:
- When a stunt is performed, it would say "You’ve been Darylized!".
- The arrow pointing to the destination is red instead of blue or yellow in the final version. The overall HUD is different.
- The soundtrack is near if not completely different.
- Parts of levels are completely different compared to the final version such as different roads and obstacles.
- The startup screen featured the main character Max Justice saying “Hot Wheels Velocity X” which is not in the final version.
- The build has it's own "Stunt Mode" which was made compatible with multiplayer. This mode was completely cut from the final game.
- The beta has 3 known cars cut from the final game, those 3 being "Sling Shot', "Purple Passion", and "Sweet 16 II".
Unsurfaced "Behind The Scenes" Video[edit | edit source]
In 2002, shortly after Hot Wheels: Velocity X released, Beyond Games posted a video to their website titled Behind The Scenes. This video was one of 5 videos for the game posted on the Beyond Games website. 4 of the 5 videos have been posted to YouTube, those being "Opening Movie", "Opening Movie Part 2", "Opening Movie Part 3", and "30-Second Promo". Unfortunately, the original site and page was taken down in 2008, but can be accessed through the Wayback Machine. The fifth video "Behind The Scenes" cannot be downloaded through any archive site. Clark Stacey, Vice President of Beyond Games, uploaded b-roll footage of the "Behind The Scenes" video to YouTube in 2015. The original video however has yet to resurface.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Photos[edit | edit source]
"Sling Shot", a car cut from the final version.
Beta Footage[edit | edit source]
B-Roll Footage[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- The game's unused front cover. Retrieved 22 Oct '19
- The game's unused back cover. Retrieved 22 Oct '19
- Model of "Purple Passion". Retrieved 22 Oct '19
- Model of "Sweet 16 II". Retrieved 22 Oct '19
References[edit | edit source]
- Article on THQ visiting IGN to show off Velocity X during pre-alpha. Retrieved 19 Mar '20
- Info on things included in the beta. Retrieved 19 Mar '20
- Additional info included in the beta. Retrieved 19 Mar '20
- Proof of the lost "Behind The Scenes" video's existence. Retrieved 22 Oct '19
- "Sling Shot" once shown on a now-defunct blog. Retrieved 22 Oct '19