Grand Prix 4 (lost build of cancelled Xbox port of PC Formula One racing game sequel; 2002)
Grand Prix 4 (also known as Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 and GP4) is a Formula One racing simulation game that was developed by MicroPose UK and published by Infogrames. Originally released on the PC in 2002, it was a simulation of the 2001 Formula One season and was the last game to be released under the Grand Prix series. An Xbox port of the game was also in development around the same time as the PC version, but was ultimately cancelled.
In an interview, the developers of Grand Prix 4 stated that the Xbox port's development was only a few days behind the PC version, and that it would only be released 2-3 weeks after the PC counterpart. It was claimed that realism, graphics and weather effects would be improved for the port, but no online multiplayer was included. Had the Xbox version been released, it would have made Grand Prix 4 the first in the Grand Prix series to have a console release, following the cancellation of Grand Prix 3's Dreamcast port. According to Game Mania, the port was to be released on 15th October, 2002.
Despite being given a release date of October 2002, and nearing completion, Infogrames decided to dissolve the MicroPose UK studio not long after the PC release of Grand Prix 4, in September 2002. This led to speculation that the Xbox port would be cancelled. Ultimately, the dissolvement of the company meant that the Xbox port was cancelled soon afterwards, for "corporate reasons" rather than due to a lack of quality.
Because of the cancellation, the Xbox port of Grand Prix 4 remains inaccessible to the public, despite its near-completion. No copy, even in beta form, nor any screenshots of the port, are available online.
- Unraced F1 article concerning the Xbox port's near-completition. Retrieved 18th Dec '20
- Xbox Addict forum discussion of the game. Retrieved 06 Jun '17
- Game Mania listing Grand Prix 4's Xbox port as intended for release on 15 October, 2002. Retrieved 18th Dec '20
- Eurogamer article announcing the closure of Micropose UK in September 2002, and the rumours the Xbox port would be cancelled. Retrieved 18th Dec '20
- GameSpot article announcing the cancellation of Grand Prix 4 for the Xbox. Retrieved 06 Jun '17